PIZZA TYCOON GENERAL HINTS
1. After opening a restaurant you should create at least
three standard recipes. If you don't, you won't give
your customers much of a choice, so your restaurant
will not become popular.
2. In the Suppliers book, you will see the amount of money
you recently spent at each supplier, below the name of
the supplier. This is the amount the supplier looks for
when computing the default discount. If you stop buying
at a supplier who gives you discount, the amount of
discount will fall once per week.
3. If you keep stocks in your restaurant for a long time,
the quality of the stocks will go down. If the quality
of an ingredient drops below 5, the ingredient goes bad
and is automatically thrown away. During summer, food
goes bad much more quickly. Higher quality ingredients
can be stored for a longer period of time than low quality
4. If you have contracts, you can choose one of two delivery
modes, displayed on page one of the contract at 'amount':
'According to contract' means you'll get exactly the daily
amounts you ordered, printed on page two of the contract.
'As required' means you'll first get the amount you ordered
on page two. But if you need more of certain ingredients
mentioned in the contract, your stock will be filled up as
needed. For the additional amount no discount is granted.
Also the charge applies.
Click on the contract to change the mode.
5. To pause the game use the standard Pause key on your
keyboard. To restart the game, hit the Spacebar.
6. If you have a manager, he or she will buy from the Suppliers
you've used before. If you need an ingredient you have not
bought before, the manager will buy from the cheapest
Supplier stocking the ingredient. So make sure you show
your managers where to shop.
7. If you allow your managers to change prices, it is not a
good idea to interfere and alter these prices yourself.
If you do, the manager will not know about it and will
continue to base his/her decisions on the prices he/she
8. If you wish to buy weapons, it is best not to be too obvious
about it !
9. After you have bought some chairs, you may find that your
seating capacity does not match the number of chairs you
have. If this occurs, check to see that all of your chairs
are close enough to the tables.
People cannot eat at tables they cannot reach!
10. The easiest way to move between restaurants is to go into
any one of them and press the TAB key. Doing this will
move you to the next restaurant in the chain. This can be
done from any menu within the restaurant.
11. Waking up regularly before 9 o'clock has the effect of
reducing your health.
12. If you do have to get up before 9 o'clock, make sure
you've set your clock first. The clock will default to
9 o'clock everyday.
13. Yearly pizza competitions - unlike the other competitions,
you have to make a pizza creation of your own. Make sure
the pizza is one the judges will like.
14. After achieving a certain status (i.e. Godfather) the
status will be shown on your C.V. If however, your rating
goes down for some reason (i.e. failing or refusing a
mission) your C.V. will not show this - your C.V. shows
only your greatest achievements. However, the drop in points
will be shown on your status bar. You could thus be a level
lower than you think you are. For example, your C.V. will
show the date when you became a Godfather, but your current
status might be Mafia Big Wig.
15. You cannot carry more than 255 pieces of any one kind of
weapon (e.g. 255 bombs) at any one time; however, you may
carry more than 255 weapons in total (e.g. 155 bombs and
200 flame-throwers). You can store more than 255 pieces of
one kind of weapon in your depot, but you will not be able
to transfer more than 255 pieces from the depot to your bag.
Nor can you buy any weapons from an arms dealer, if doing
so would result in you carrying more than 255 weapons.
16. Dates - when presented numerically, dates follow the
European format. So 12 September, 1994 will be shown as
17. If you buy stock from your Central Warehouse, your
supplier will not sell you any stock if doing so will mean
that he has less than 499 items remaining for himself. You
may, however, buy more items if you order them directly
from your restaurant.
18. When you take part in the end-of-month pizza competition,
you first see your total earnings and your stake. While
your competitors are making their pizzas, you will see
their total earnings displayed. When the competition
finishes you will see your total money plus or minus the
value of your stake depending on whether or not you won
19. You can make any amount of money in Pizza Tycoon, but should
you somehow get to earn above two billion dollars, you will
see your cash total on every screen except your Balance Sheet
which will stop counting at two billion. So if your Balance
shows two billion when you know you have more, don't worry!
20. If you break into a restaurant owned by a human opponent, the
other player may defend the restaurant by using his chef to
attack you. To control the chef, your opponent must use a
SOLVING COMMON PROBLEMS:
1. No customers come to my restaurant!
* Make sure you create enough (at least three) recipes
that have decent values on the popularity screen AND
have non-negative trends (shown in the status window when
looking at recipes).
* You need some floor covering, tiles or carpet - just
something people can properly walk on. If you leave your
restaurant with no floor covering (the way the restaurant
looks when you first see it) you'll get poor restaurant
popularity values; check 'customer ratings' in the
furnishing sub menu.
* You may be addressing the wrong ages. Check customer
statistics in the restaurant statistics sub menu, to see
which customer groups are in this area; the yellow bar
shows the potential customers for each group.
* Take a look at your furniture and ask yourself what kind
of people will feel comfortable here. Check 'customer
ratings' in the furnishing sub menu.
2. I keep getting the message, 'There aren't enough supplies
to satisfy the demand,' but I'm sure I've bought enough.
* You may have put a new recipe on your menu, causing a
need for ingredients not yet bought.
* Demand changes frequently. There may be a new trend
causing greater demand for a certain ingredient. Check the
demand value in your menu for each pizza selected and look
at what each Pizza needs.
* Supplies may be rotten, so would have been thrown in the
garbage. So check on the quality of each ingredient.
3. My manager is not going shopping properly, and I don't
* Make sure that in the manager menu you set the option
'Supply shortage' to 'act yourself' AND the option
'Shopping if needed' to 'yes'.
* Take a look at the motivation of the manager. The value
is equal to the probability in percent that he/she will go
shopping each day. So if your manager has a motivation of
only 75%, the probability for him/her to go shopping is
only 3 in 4. Give the manager more money to increase
* The manager may be sick, like anybody else. This will
be shown in the manager menu.
* If your manager is on a course, he/she obviously cannot
go shopping. Again, this will be shown in the manager menu.
* If the option 'staff shortage' is set to 'act yourself'
and the manager has to assist either the cooks or the
waiters at their work, the manager will have no time to go
shopping that day.
* On rare occasions, it may be that the Supplier you told
the manager to use is temporarily out of stock. You can
check this if you have a central warehouse in that city or
if you try buying from the supplier yourself.
MANUAL AMENDMENTS & ADDITIONS
1. To win the game when playing Freemode, you need to have a 5%
Market Share in every city in the world; i.e. 5% in New York,
5% in London, etc.
2. Correct Underworld ratings: As good as dead
Mafia big wig
3. Jobs for the Underworld: Courier jobs are assigned to
levels up until the rank of Thug. In addition to the
courier missions, you will be asked to do arms deals
once you have achieved the rank of Gangster. Money
Laundering will be assigned to those who have achieved
the rank of Professional, and share deals to those who
4. Zucchini - in both the manual and the game, Zucchini are
described by the European word, 'Courgettes'.
Make sure, if you are using a Soundblaster card that it is
correctly set-up in your AUTOEXEC.BAT. This should at least
contain the line SET BLASTER=A220 or whichever address is
set for your sound card.