ALONE IN THE DARK II COMPLETE STEP BY STEP WALKTHRU V1.0
by Richard Liblanc
with thanks to Hugues Lamy and Frankie McNeil
GENERAL HINTS AND TIPS
o Fighting can be made really easy by always closing on your target and
punching them as often as you can. Most of the time, they will keep
shooting toward but behind you. Most of the thompson guys are poor
aimer and they often fire at some spot on the wall instead of at you.
Stay close to the walls sometimes (specially true in the garden).
o There is a strange bug you can use to go through some doors and walls.
When you have a sword, close on the door and make the "dive attack"
(when you make one step forward while attacking). You'll be able to
pass through most of the doors (with VERY erratic results though).
o This walkthru does not tell you when to drink your vials and when to
reload your guns. You might spend a lot more ammo than I did so maybe
you'll have to improvise. Maybe the walkthru wont tell you how to get
all the storyline elements (books, pictures, etc.). They are pretty
obvious and I know you will get all the things the dead guys will leave
o Remember that some weapons seems really weak in attacking power but they
can be very useful when speed is important (the revolver, the beater and
the good old punch for example).
o A rule of thumb : always take everything a dead guy leaves behind. I
think I forgot some stuff like "take the key" or "take the book" but
you should be able to figure what to take.
o Finally, I played the game with the french version and some objects
might have different names. Sorry for the incovenience and for my bad
I - THE GARDENS
- Kill the guy with your bare hands and take his thompson, the clip and
- Run down the alley to the big statue of the anchor, push it and enter
the gardens. If you make your move fast enough, you should be able to
avoid the thompson guys.
- There is someone just behind that corner. Kill him from the corner and
take the picture.
- Turn right, get rid of the thompson guy, take the clip and the vial. Go
where that guy came from.
- Take the rope, remember you saw a DIAMOND card.
- Go back where you found the picture, walk to the crossroad. When you'll
walk past the crossroad, another "hey you" will appear. Fill him with
lead and take the way to the top of the screen.
- Now that guy is a real pain. Dont let him close on you. Stick to the
left wall and fire your thompson at him. If you kill him now, he wont
bother you again. ( that's the case of most of the bad guys in the
gardens, they sometimes track you even if you never "met" them).
Go the dead end and take the clip.
- Go back to the crossroad and go to the bottom of the screen. There will
be another tough guy in trench coat. Kill him and continue your way
until you find the grapplin. Another "hey you" will appear. If you're
not fond of killing, step on the diamond card. If you intend to step on
another card, well, save first.
II - THE CAVE
- Go straight forward and get rid of that green guy.
- Go take the vial and forget about the ladder for now. Go to the other
part of the cave.
- Push the chest to make the altar raise. Watch out fot the ghost! Dont
worry, he's thompsonable. Take the pirate's saber.
- If you have some "friends" waiting for you at the entrance (place with 4
cards on the ground), it would be a good idea to use the mettalic jack
on the altar so you can escape via the other trap. If not, forget about
the jack and get out of the cave.
III - THE GARDENS AGAIN
- If both cases, you should make your way to a 3-ways intesection. Go in
the L-path, be scared by the demonic face and turn left. Shoot the fat
12-gauge wielding gangster and proceed. (not turning will get you back
near the crossroad, geez, you're so curious, trust me a little more!).
- Cut the weaving branches with your saber and SAVE! See that little brown
spot behind the trees? That's Shorty Leg and he's quite tough to kill.
Best way to kill him is to hide behind the statue and use everything
you've got, especially the revolver.
Dont worry about spending all your ammo. Just kill him.
- Take the vial and use the grapplin. Use the grapplin again to make the
statue's arm move and enter.
IV - THE BASEMENT
- Darn! No more weapons! Take everything you see (a nickel, a crank and a
- You can cry on Stryker's corpse if you want but take his notes and the
pipe-pick. (sorry, cant remember the right word for it now...). Pushing
Stryker off the cliff seems a bad idea but i never did it. Lemme now if
it changes something later in the game...:)
- To open the locked door, you need to use the paper under the door then
the pick. You'll get the key and you'll get inside.
- There are two ways to get rid of that sitting guy :
The "nice" way : Get behind the barrel, just beside the lever. Use the
paper bag twice, wait until the guy raises to his feet and push the
The "direct" way: Tease the guy, fight with him and try to make him fall
off the cliff...
- Take the shotgun, the book and the vial. Go right behind the grandfather
clock and use the crank to open the secret passage. go there and take
the shotgun shells.
- To get rid of Musicman, just tear his pact( the paper you used to get
the key). Dont forget to take the hook.
- As you might hear now, there is some heavy shooting nearby. Take the
beater and go to the door. DONT GO UPSTAIRS YET!!!
- To kill those two guys, stay in the doorway shoot the first guy, go
backward and wait for the other guy to show up.
- Those two guys were shooting at some rotating cards. Try to align 4
diamonds to open the door. 90 degrees rotations are possible, you just
have to be well positioned.
- Kill that guy and get into the cellar. Get the vial (i never found any
use to the whiskey bottle. HINT: save before drinking). Use the nickel
in the slot machine to get two tokens. You might also take the book in
the back of the room.
- Return to the shooting gallery. Kill that guy and take the bag. You can
also try to get the bag w/o worrying about the guy because he's so drunk
but he might shows up a while later...
- Open the bag and put on the Santa suit. Okay, you look silly, but at
least that little pest upstairs wont alarm everyone.
V - THE HOUSE
- Turn right and make your way to the kitchen. Watch out for the statue!
Try to walk near the door.
- In the kitchen, take the frying pan and get near the eggs. Listen to
what T-Bone tells you and get ready to fight him. The pan is the best
weapon because it will block incoming darts.
- Take the wine from the stove and the poison beside the dumbwaiter. Use
the poison with the wine.
- Get near the door in front of the statue and drop your special wine.
Wait for results.
- Big Evil Hint : To get rid of that little pest walking down the hall and
to remove any danger from the statue, wait until that little fellow walks
before the statue and start running to trigger the trident.
Duck in the kitchen and wait for result. Voila!
- Go through the door you opened with the wine and use your two tokens in
the juke-box in front of the statue.
The golden token will make a doublon appear and the wooden token will
open the door.
- Get in the new room and take all the war material (bulletproof vest,clip,
- Now go just beside the statue with the trident and take the crown. Now
go upstairs. (i know, i know, there are still two doors left closed,
more on them later).
- Kill that laughing zombie first. Best way to do it is too close on him
and punch, close again, punch, etc. He'll always miss you with his gun
and you wont have any problems getting rid of him (it will take some time
though). Open the door and get in the hall. Open the door in the middle
- The guy will throw a derringer. Take it and use it quick. Take the sword.
There are a scroll and a book to find in the bookshelf. Get back in the
hall and open the nearest door (the other door at the end of the hall is
the bathroom, no need to go there).
- The two ghost arms are protecting the other half of the scroll. It is
not required to get the scroll but strongly suggested if you want to
solve the next puzzle by yourself. Use the sword to kill the arms, stay
right beside the window, hack, get back, hack again and so on.
- CHESS AND MAGIK (the riddle) : Use the crown on the white statue. Go in
the magic room and take the amulet. (the door in the magic room is
- Two things to take, a vial and a note. Open the door and go immediately
to the left and take the thompson with the clip. Stay right where you are
and get ready to thompson two baddies. If you still have your bulletproof
vest, there is no problem, otherwise, try to make the gangster fire on
the karateka. (Remember to USE you bulletproof vest though!).
- Take the grenade and the key. Dont open the door yet. Get in the open
room and use the doublon in the jack-in-the-box. Take the pompon.
- Now open the door and get inside the room. The only way to get rid of
the clown is to throw the pompon through the archway. The right position
is difficult to find. Let the clown go after the pompon and use the
grenade in the chimney. SAVE!!!. Go down.
- The grenade killed two of the baddies but there are still a lot of
people down here. The best way to kill them all is to get out as fast as
you can and wait for them in the kitchen or the lobby. Slash them when
they go through the door. The beater is one of the bet weapon because
it's so fast.
You could try the Santa suit again but i'm not sure it will work. If
someone finds an easy way, let me know...
- Take the red ball from the christmas tree and go upstairs again in the
- Use the ball on the big box with holes. Use the key on the door and go
inside. Wait for result and dont panic.
- Listen to what Jack tells you and when he's done, use the hook to get
out of here.
- You can try anything you want but you'll always get captured by
The wisest thing to do is to go downstairs and walk toward the kitchen.
VI - THE CUTE PART : PLAY AS GRACE SAUNDERS!!!
- If you havent figured out that you're now Grace, well...First thing to
do is to try all those cute moves (gna gna gna gna). Now push the plank
so you can get out. Go near the parrot, take the seeds, the sandwich and
the pepper. Give the seeds to the parrot if you want a clue.
- Get out of the room and IMMEDIATELY go to your left. Hide in the small
niche until the pirate stops walking. Go back to the ladder as fast as
you can. By the way, it's the ladder at the end of the hall, not the
middle one. You dont have much time until the pirate starts chasing you
again so make it quick.
- Dont tease that pirate and climb the other ladder.
- Now you're going to play hide and seek with the crew. You must find a
safe way to the open hatch without anyone noticing you. Go behind the
sitting guy. Make your way to the edge of the ship and get behind the
By the way, for a cute moment, try to fall into the Start trap.
Before going down, take the flint&steel on the deck.
| Boxes |_| End
Mast | X Mast
|_| | Boxes
- Take the small cannon from the chest, the vase from the shelf and the
stick next to the bed.
- Now, position yourself right in front of the door, put down the cannon,
use the pepper on the cannon. Throw the vase, wait until the pirate
comes close and use the flint&steel on the cannon. Take the bell and get
out of the room.
- Go through the door in front of you. Take the chicken's foot get near
the blue plate, ring the bell and get inside the dumbwaiter. Take the
- Use the key on the locker in the kitchen and get the molasse and the
freezer. When you'll try to get out of the kitchen, you'll hear a
familiar "hey you!". Get back in the kitchen and use the freezer in the
- Go upstairs and do the same thing with the molasse. Go to the pool room.
Get the token if you want (havent the slightiest idea of what to do with
it). Go into the room with the cell and use the stick behind the desk
with the broken plate in the corner of the room. You'll find the key and
- The door to the chamber and magic room will now open. Get into the magic
room and use the stick on the plate. Get back in the kitchen and hope
you placed the ice at the right spot. Go next to the dumbwaiter and ring
the bell again.
- CAPTURED AGAIN !! ....
VII - BACK AS CARNBY : THE REVENGE!
- Get the key to free yourself and kill that pirate with your bare hands.
Take the the sword, use it and follow Grace outside. Dont worry if you
lose track of Grace. Kill anything you encounter.
- The guy outside will leave the fuse behind. Get it and go through the
door in front of you. Kill the two guys and get the fire-iron and the
pliers as well as the key in the corner of the room. Get out.
- Go through the door next to the niche where Grace hid, kill the guy and
take all his stuff (gun ammo,chainmail,vial,gun).
- Push the barrel to the left and get the chainmail.
- Go through the door at the end of the hallway, close on the pistol
pirate with your sword, take the ammo and the vial. Dont let anyone get
in your way to the locked door on that deck. Use the key to get inside.
- You're in the gunpowder room. think twice before firing your gun. Use
the sword to kill the swordmaster, get the book and the gunpowder barrel.
Get on the upper deck.
- Open all the doors you can, there are two rooms you can enter.
A sleeping room (dont stay inside too long because you dont want to wake
those pirates) and a room with a cannon. kill the guy sleeping next to
the cannon and use the pliers to free the cannon. Now PUSH the cannon to
the left (this move is difficult, the right position is hard to find).
Drop the barrel anywhere in the sleeping room( Carnby always places the
barrel next to the wall).
- Use the fuse on the cannon and use the fire-iron for a nice show...
- Go into what's left of the sleeping room. Take the vial and the gold
- Use the gold pieces near the locked doors and kill the two dwarves. Go
where they came from, take the vial. Go kill the cook behind the door,
take the metallic diamond card and use it on the last locked door.
- Enter and fall (again) under Elizabeth's spell...
VIII - GRACE AGAIN!
- And Grace saves the day...Use the stick on the statue, get into the room
and use the chicken's foot. Bye Bye Elizabeth!
IX - BACK AS CARNBY : THE END!
- First, FLEE! that ghost is way too tough for you. Climb the ladder to
get on the main deck.
- Kill everyone on the bridge. Get the hook and climb up the mast. Wait
for the guy, hit him once with your sword to make him fall. Use the hook
on the rope. Kill the karateka. jump down and take Nichol's sword.
- Free Grace with the pliers. Run to the cannons to stop the fuse. Now
kill One-Eye Jack! Dont forget to use Nichol's sword and watch out for